Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Strangers (2008)

Honest to goodness, home invasions scare the living daylights out of me. Its like, you're in a place where you're supposed to be safe all the time except that space is threatened. Not only threatened but violated. I don't like the idea of it and I guess its my privilege that makes that specific scenario the scariest thing to me. What I am saying is, stay out of my house.

In The Strangers, we are set in an isolated house, strange to leading lady Liv Tyler, with her would-be fiance. After he leaves, Tyler's character begins to hear strange knocks at the door and windows. Then, quickly, things placed in her house, like her phone and piano, start moving when she's not looking. She and her quickly reunited boyfriend find themselves being terrorized by three masked people.

The Strangers is an excellent movie in conveying that sense of helplessness and lack of safety. It is legitimately scary with some excellent performances by Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman. The film quickly falls apart in the second act, and leaves at the end with a "just another horror movie" moment. Fun, and scary, while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment